Pages

Psalm 143:8

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.
Psalm 143:8

Thursday, January 19, 2012

What is forgiveness really?

Is our brand of forgiveness anything like God's? 


Matthew 26:28
28 This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

Jesus gave his life for our forgiveness.  He suffered brutal treatment far beyond what any of us could probably handle.  And He did it for us.  So that our sins could be forgiven.  Wiped away.  That we might have life forever with Him in the place He is preparing for us. 

Acts 13:3-39
38 “Therefore, my friends, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. 39 Through him everyone who believes is set free from every sin, a justification you were not able to obtain under the law of Moses. 

We are set free.  Do you see that up there?  Everyone who believes is set free from every sin...justified.

Jeremiah 31:33, 35
33 “This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel
after that time,” declares the LORD. ....

“For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more.” 


 He will remember our sins no more...

Can we say the same?  Can we forgive and then let it go?  We all know someone who has held a grudge for so long that they are a sad, bitter, angry person.  Why?  Because when we are unable to forgive, we chain ourselves to that person's behavior.  May not even affect that other person in reality...but we are chained, imprisoned by our unforgiveness.  How do we get free?  We forgive.  We let go of the infraction.  We move forward, not clinging to the past. 

Mark 11:25

25 And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.” 

We forgive, that we may also be forgiven.  We let go of that grudge.  Let go of that hurt.  Forgive so that the unforgiveness is not a blot on our own hearts.

Easy?  Nope.  Necessary? Yes.  And believe me, you will feel better for it.  Freer.   I don't want to be that bitter, sad, angry, and lonely person who can only remember the hurts inflicted by another.  I want to find joy, laugh, LIVE, and love others wholly.  God gives me grace every day...how can I do any less but to give grace to others...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me!