Pages

Psalm 143:8

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.
Psalm 143:8

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Five Minute Friday - Dive

It's Five Minute Friday - the day to write for five minutes on a prompt put out there by Lisa Jo Baker  at tales from a Gypsy Mama.  

So here are the "rules" and my post:

 
So, set your timer, clear your head, for five minutes of free writing without worrying about getting it right.

1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community..


OK, are you ready? Please give me your best five minutes on:::

Dive…

:GO

I remember swimming lessons so many years ago....the second time I took them.  When I was 15.  And horrified that I was so much older than the other kids....but that's a different story.  One day at swimming lessons I was watching the other kids effortlessly diving off the diving board or the side of the pool.  Oh how I wanted that freedom, that beautiful coordination of bouncing off the edge of the diving board and folding over to slide gracefully into the water....  Yeah.  I wanted that...but was paralyzed by fear.

I remember standing on the edge of the pool.  Thinking "If I just do this slowly, step by step, I too can dive."  So curling my toes over the edge, I inhaled, exhaled, put my palms together and bent over the water....looking at it....looking at it...looking at it....frozen.  Nope.  Not gonna happen.  Nevermind I was already halfway there...nevermind all the other kids could do it so easily.  Nevermind.

My swimming instructor invited me to stay for the diving class right after my lesson.  I thought about it and said "ok."  I could do this.  I could.  I stayed and finally, I dove into the water.  I did it!  I did it!  And as my head broke the surface and I excitedly threw an arm in the air.....I realized my swimsuit top had come untied.  Yep. Fortunately I grabbed it before anyone else noticed, but as I got out of the pool I made my decision.  Never, ever again.  Never would I dive again.  That was it.  And you know what?  I never have.

And I wonder now....how many opportunities have I given up because of just that attitude.  First the paralyzing fear, then the fear of being embarrassed or exposed in some way.  Fear can hold us back.  Stop us from even trying.  I knew diving was possible.  I saw other kids do it.  Yet the fear made me certain I could not.  

God tells us over and over in His Word..."Do not fear."  Ever wonder why?  Perhaps it is better to remember in those moments of overwhelming, paralyzing fear the words "With God, all things are possible."  When we are too afraid to dive in, maybe that's an indication it's time to spend a little time in communion with God.  See if He can't show you a way to get over that fear....and maybe once you dive in...you will find you CAN do it!  And even if you are a little exposed somehow....maybe that's not even as bad as you thought it would be....maybe it's time to grow a little....stretch a little...dive... 

1 comment:

  1. Ah, so true. I know this has always been a problem for me. It's so scary sometimes! But yes. Trust. Grow. Here from FMF. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me!