Pages

Psalm 143:8

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.
Psalm 143:8

Thursday, July 12, 2012

What's your foundation?

Funny how things come up repeatedly.  This topic was in a conversation I had with a friend, in the Bible verses in my reading plan this morning, in the old sermon notes of my son's found in a file in my office this morning...so I'm thinking it's a divine suggestion of a topic to ponder... 

Let's start with the Bible verses....Luke 6:46-49



Build Your House on the Rock

46 “Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I tell you? 47 Everyone who comes to me and hears my words and does them, I will show you what he is like: 48 he is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when a flood arose, the stream broke against that house and could not shake it, because it had been well built. 49 But the one who hears and does not do them is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. When the stream broke against it, immediately it fell, and the ruin of that house was great.”

As I read these words this morning, I thought of the song that we sing at Sunday school with the little ones.  Do you know it?  Can you hum it along with me?  "The foolish man built his house upon the sand, the foolish man built his house upon the sand, the foolish man built his house upon the sand...and the rains came a-tumblin' down.  Well, the rains came down and the floods came up, the rains came down and the floods came up, the rains came down and the floods came up, and the house on the sand went splat!"  The children smack their hands together and laugh at the "splat."   But really, it's not so funny is it?  

 What's my foundation?  What do I build my life on?  If I build on the world....am I building it on sands that shift, sink...don't hold firm when the storms of life come upon my life-house?  What happens when the rain falls?  When I can't see through the storm.  If I have built my life on money, other people, my job, my home...the things of this world....then what supports me when the storm crashes in?  Does the money make everything better?  Do the people stand firm and support me no matter what happens?  Does my job always stay to give me security?  Are my worldly goods and material things going to keep me going?  Money and jobs and homes and stuff don't always last.  People, even well-intentioned people who love us, are only human and they sometimes fail us.  Can I stand alone against the storm?  Can I do it by myself?  


Sometimes I'd like to say yes!  I am strong.  I can go it alone.  I don't need anyone or anything to help me.  But then come the long, dark and stormy nights, the moments when I feel I have no hope....there is pain, and fear...dark and unrelenting.   The walls are crashing down. The stuff is gone.  The people are gone.  And I am.....alone, weak.  And I can't do it by myself.  


Sing with me again.... "The wise man built his house upon the rock, the wise man built his house upon the rock, the wise man built his house upon the rock and the rains came a-tumblin' down.  Well, the rains came down and the floods came up, the rains came down and the floods came up, the rains came down and the floods came up...and the house on the rock stood firm!"  Ahh....the Word says the man who comes to God, hears His words and does them is like a man who digs deep and builds his house on a firm foundation of rock.  If I build my life on my Rock....I cannot be shaken.   Look...this is beautiful, the words of Psalm 62:2....

2 He alone is my rock and my salvation,
my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken.

He alone is my rock....I shall not be greatly shaken. Yes.  When I build my life on the Rock...the One who is my Father, my Creator, my Protector...when I look to the Son who is my Savior, my Redeemer...when I listen to the guidance of the Holy Spirit who is my Comforter, my Guide, my Intercessor....what have I to fear?  Yes, the storms will still come.  Yes, I may lose all my stuff.  Yes, the people in my life may not be able or willing to step up in that moment.  Yes, I may bend...but I won't break.  And even if I do??  God is there to pick me up, hold me tight and put me back on firm ground.  He is my foundation.  My source of strength, hope, salvation, and joy.  

Shall we finish the song?  "So build your life on the Lord Jesus Christ, build your life on the Lord Jesus Christ, build your life on the Lord Jesus Christ, and the blessings will come down.  Well, the blessings come down as the prayers go up, the blessings come down as the prayers go up, the blessings come down as the prayers go up, so build your life on the Lord."  

We don't have to go it alone.  We don't have to rely on the things of this world, or even ourselves.  Just God.  He's the foundation that holds us firm, that keeps us living a life of hope.