Pages

Psalm 143:8

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.
Psalm 143:8

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Faith Reaching Beyond the Present

So, back to Psalm 77...

We left Asaph wondering where God was...why He was so silent.  Asaph was feeling a little forgotten, alone, overwhelmed.  He was experiencing sleepless nights, lying mute in his bed, moaning to God, laying bare his heart.  How many nights, how many hours might it have been?  Perhaps in the wee morning hours when the dark is just beginning to let go of the world, Asaph lifts his eyes upward and remembers....


13 Your ways, God, are holy.
   What god is as great as our God?
14 You are the God who performs miracles;
   you display your power among the peoples.
15 With your mighty arm you redeemed your people,
   the descendants of Jacob and Joseph. 

Do you feel that?  Do you feel those little rays of hope coming through Asaph's thoughts?  Our God is great, He performs miracles, He displays His power, He redeems his people.  He provided ways out for His people....and even when they grumbled and sinned, He still provided for them.  Always.  Without fail.  He never left them.  And He does the same for us....
 16 The waters saw you, God,
   the waters saw you and writhed;
   the very depths were convulsed.
17 The clouds poured down water,
   the heavens resounded with thunder;
   your arrows flashed back and forth.
18 Your thunder was heard in the whirlwind,
   your lightning lit up the world;
   the earth trembled and quaked.
19 Your path led through the sea,
   your way through the mighty waters,
   though your footprints were not seen. 

Read those words again.  Out loud.  Visualize the awesome power of the convulsing depths, the flashing lighting, the waters fighting against themselves as they separate...feel the trembling of the earth as the thunder rumbles, as a path appears between walls of writhing water....

Asaph remembers God's faithfulness.  He lets go of his present troubles and allows his faith to take hold, to see God's faithfulness in the past, to give him hope for his own future.  We can learn a lesson from Asaph.  When we are troubled, when life seems too overwhelming, when God seems silent...turn to His word.  Read of His faithfulness.  When our arms seem to heavy to hold out toward Him a minute more, when the ache seems too big to get past...think of how He provided for you in the past.  Remember His faithfulness.  And remember, that though His footprints aren't visible...He is there, walking beside you, holding you, keeping you.


******
Letting go of lies...
The evil one has convinced me over and over in his constantly whispering voice that I am worthless.  That I am a failure at so much.  That I am not worthy of a second look.  But I KNOW that I have worth in Christ...that I am a new creation in Him, beloved, whole, redeemed by His blood.  I don't need others to tell me of my worth or worthlessness....I need only to believe that Christ died for me because He loves me and I am worth more than any precious jewel to my Father in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me!