Pages

Psalm 143:8

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.
Psalm 143:8

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Asaph remembers...

This week I am reading and studying Psalm 77, written by Asaph, who seems to be in great distress.  He starts out the Psalm in an anguish you can feel in his words that almost leap off the pages to strike you in the heart.  He cries out to God for help, he talks of sleepless nights reaching out, stretching his hands out to his God...he grew faint and couldn't speak.  Oh, I've had these nights...have you?

It seems that God is silent because Asaph feels rejected, that God is not by his side...these words make my heart ache:

My heart meditated and my spirit asked:
 7 “Will the Lord reject forever?
   Will he never show his favor again?
8 Has his unfailing love vanished forever?
   Has his promise failed for all time?
9 Has God forgotten to be merciful?
   Has he in anger withheld his compassion?” 

Asaph feels alone, forgotten...hopeless....aching...
But wait....

10 Then I thought, “To this I will appeal:
   the years when the Most High stretched out his right hand.
11 I will remember the deeds of the LORD;
   yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago.
12 I will consider all your works
   and meditate on all your mighty deeds.” 

What is this, Asaph?  What is this turn around...this tiny little speck of light that shows in the darkness...a little bit of backbone that seems to straighten up??   

"I will remember the deeds of the LORD; 
...the miracles...all your works...all your mighty deeds."

Let's just think on this for a while...remember....

.....to be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me!