Pages

Psalm 143:8

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.
Psalm 143:8

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Is it God's voice?

I should never be amazed...and yet I often am...at how things turn up in life just when you need it.  Coincidence?  No.  God?  Yes.

I've been thinking a lot lately about hearing God's voice, and His silence.  I recently ordered a book called What Happens When Women Say Yes to God by Lysa TerKeurst.   I have only read the first two chapters so far...and oh my...how it pertains to my life right now!  This book was something I needed to read right now...at this point in my life.  Thank you, God!  Here is a sentence from the very first chapter that jumped right out at me...it's underlined!!  "Being a woman who says yes to God means making the choice to trust Him even when you can't understand why He requires some of the things He does."  Wow.  So fitting.

And the second chapter encompasses how to discern if what you are hearing is God's voice.  A perfect complement to the thoughts I've been sharing on my blog lately.  How do you know if what you are hearing is God's voice?  So often I wonder...is that really His voice?  Or just mine...pretending.  Is it the voice of the serpent making things sound good when they really aren't?  How do I know?  Lysa gives us five questions in her book to help us know.  Ask yourself if what you are hearing is backed up by scripture - of course, you must know scripture...so get out your Bible and read it!  Next, ask if it is consistent with God's character - she gives the fruits of the Spirit as a measuring stick...see Galatians 5:22-23.  Then look around...is the message you are hearing being backed up in other areas of your life?  Have you ever noticed that sometimes a particular issue is in every song you hear on the radio, or in that week's sermon, or pops up in the scripture you are reading that week, or a friend will mention it out of the blue?  Uh huh...God's talking!  Next look at this question...is what I'm hearing beyond me??  Will it take the strength of God to accomplish?  Does it ask you to go out of your comfort zone...step out of the boat???  And finally, would it please God?  If you feel led to do something...is it something that would please God?  Then chances are good that the nudge you are feeling is from Him.  If it will please Him, then do it!

I can't wait to read more in this book.  It is giving me a lot to ponder as I walk this journey of trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me!