Pages

Psalm 143:8

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.
Psalm 143:8

Monday, August 29, 2011

God's Silence - Part 1

Why does it seem sometimes like we pray and pray...only to hear silence in return?  Why does it feel like God has retreated from us in times that are already difficult?  And how in the world do we get through those times when it feels that way?  Some of us might start to worry, and fret and feel like we are all alone.  We start to fear what is happening, what is going to happen.  We question our own thoughts, feelings, choices. This would be my reaction...but I am learning to change that to a more positive outlook. 

We know that God listens.  We know that He is always there.  We know that He is all-knowing, all-powerful.  We know that He is over all and in control of all.  But why is it so easy to forget all that when it seems He is silent?

Have you ever been given the "silent treatment" by someone?   That person might feel that the best way to get through to you is to just be quiet for a while.  Sometimes I think this may be God's approach, too.  When you have a conversation with someone what happens when there is an uncomfortable silence?  Someone usually starts to talk to fill it up, right?  Often times, that's when someone may really open up, too - let it all out. Maybe God wants to hear from us a little more.  Maybe there are things we are doing that blocks His voice, or maybe we just aren't listening or paying attention very well.

Sometimes I pray constantly...on and on and on.  I like to talk to God.  To tell Him everything I have going on in my mind and on my heart.  Sometimes, I am happy, sometimes sad, sometimes angry, sometimes whiney...on and on.  I talk and talk and talk and talk....and then I realize that it seems to be a one-sided conversation.  God's not sayin' much.  I feel a little disappointed.  Hmmm...well, I haven't given Him much chance have I?  I'm talking non-stop and never giving Him a chance to get a word in edgewise!  How can I expect to hear anything if I don't quiet down and be still....and listen?

 Be still and know that I am God.   Psalm 46:10

Be still. Be quiet.  So hard to do sometimes...especially in this world of technology!  Open your heart and your mind, turn off the background noise...and shush.  Give God a chance to talk to you!  Listen for His voice, and maybe...just maybe, you'll hear it!

Come visit tomorrow for another thought on why it might seem that God is silent.  And in the meantime, remember He is always there, always listening, and always ready to speak!

Blessings!




1 comment:

  1. God listens. He blesses those who remain faithful. you remain faithful. he will bless you, because he HEARS you. Loud and clear.

    God bless you, Kelly.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me!