Pages

Psalm 143:8

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.
Psalm 143:8

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

What is security?

security [sɪˈkjʊərɪtɪ]n pl -ties
1. the state of being secure
2. assured freedom from poverty or want he needs the security of a permanent job
3. a person or thing that secures, guarantees, etc.
4. precautions taken to ensure against theft, espionage, etc. the security in the government offices was not very good

There you are...the state of being secure, assured freedom from poverty or want, a person or thing that secures, precautions taken.  Security.  Seems solid sometimes...and at others...very, very tenuous.
I crave security.  I crave the knowledge that things will be ok.  That the people I love will always be there, that my "stuff" is safe, that there will always be money when I need it....  Umm, yeah.  All those things can be wiped out in seconds.  People we love leave or die, our stuff can disappear for various reasons, money comes and goes.  None of it is really lasting.  I mean, look at Job!  He lost everything important to him...no security there!  But he also knew the secret to true security.


Job 17:3
 “Give me, O God, the pledge you demand. Who else will put up security for me?"


So how does one live this life when things can come and go so easily?  When people go in and out of our lives?  When it seems that there are just too many bills and obligations and nowhere near enough money to take care of them all?  When one moment our home is standing there full of our things...and the next it's gone from a fire or other natural disaster?  How do we cope?  How do we hope for anything?

Where can we be secure?  I'll tell you.  In the loving arms of our heavenly Father.  In Him.  He gives hope, security.  He is faithful to keep His Word, and all His promises.  He is always there.  Always...when you feel lonely, you are not alone.  He promises eternal security to those who believe.   Yes, this life will still have it's ups and downs...its bad days and good days...things that come and things that get taken away...people to love and people to miss...financial gain and financial ruin...good and bad...but you can always count on the Rock, on the grace of our Lord God, the love of Jesus Christ, the guidance of the Holy Spirit.  

What greater security is there than the promise of eternal security to those who believe?  Do you know where you are going after this life?  I do.  I know that with a full sense of security.  I have been sealed with His mark, saved to be with Him in heaven.  I don't have to bargain for it, pay for it, hope for it...I know that I will be among those praising Him, singing "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord almighty."  I need only accept the gift of grace given when Christ allowed himself to be sacrificed for me...for you...for all of us...every person, every tribe, every nation, every tongue, every color....all of us who believe.   Period.  No question.  Secure.
Revelation 7:9-17
After this I looked, and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and before the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands. 10 And they cried out in a loud voice:

“Salvation belongs to our God,
who sits on the throne,
and to the Lamb.”

Edited to note:  Funny how one topic seems to be on your mind more than once...here's another post from earlier in the year on security...even started it much the same way with the definition....hmmm....

1 comment:

  1. security is important. not as important as loyalty and forgiveness, but definitely very important to God. Just not as important as

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me!