Pages

Psalm 143:8

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.
Psalm 143:8

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Emmanuel...God with Us...

Here it is...almost Christmas.  The day we are waiting for...the day we have been so "busy" preparing for...the day we celebrate...the day hope and life and love came down from heaven....

I look back on this past year and some things make me laugh, some things make my eyes fill with tears and my throat grow tight and my heart aches, some things fill me with wonder and awe and thanks, some things make me think.  But, everything points to how God works in my life.  Everything shows how much He loves me, how He provides, how He cares about even the littlest details. 


Matthew 6:25-34

25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
   28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

I read these verses and I know...I know how much He cares.  And then:


John 3:16
 16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.


Yes, He sent his son....as a tiny babe, a miracle, a life of perfection to take on all the imperfection of the world.
  
Matthew 1:18-25
  18 This is how the birth of Jesus the Messiah came about: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be pregnant through the Holy Spirit. 19 Because Joseph her husband was faithful to the law, and yet did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly.
 20 But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. 21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.”
 22 All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: 23 “The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel” (which means “God with us”).
 24 When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife. 25 But he did not consummate their marriage until she gave birth to a son. And he gave him the name Jesus. 

And they will call him Immanuel...God with us.  He walked the earth for three decades...fully God, and yet fully human.  He felt our pain, our temptations, our joy, our love, our fears, our happiness.  He experienced our lives.  He knows.

Matthew 28:20
 And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.

And there it is....the fulfillment of his name...the promise...He is with us.  Always.   Trust it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me!