Pages

Psalm 143:8

Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.
Psalm 143:8

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Called to pray...

...not now, Lord.  I have so much to do.  I don't have time to stop and pray.  Come on, Lord, I've been thinking about that person all day, and I know they probably need prayer, but isn't this good enough?  God, you know I am worried about this...and that...and how will I ever get through everything?  Oh and I think I forgot to eat dinner....  I want to talk to you, Father, but can we make it quick? 

Do you ever feel the nudging from the Spirit that tells you to slow down and pray a little?  To stop what you are doing and just rest in the Lord?  To tell Him about your day, and your worries, and the people you care about?  Are you called to pray?   Jesus took time out of his day to go to a quiet place and pray.  Jesus, who was already one with the Father, took time to pray.  He gave us example after example.

Sometimes, I realize a whole day has gone by and I haven't taken much time to talk to God.  Or I find excuses to put off the conversation.  I will even admit that right now, as I write this blog post...I am feeling pulled to pray.  To turn off the noise, the computer.  To just stop, sit down, close my eyes and come quietly before the Lord. And yet, I am avoiding it.  WHY??

He's been nudging me today.  Sending thoughts that say..."Hey, I want to talk with you.  Won't you take some time with Me?"  And I've been busy.  Busy, busy, busy.  And looking back over the day...I can't say I have accomplished a lot.  Except maybe worry, fret, forget to eat and take time to rest.  I am running behind and running late.  I need to go to bed, but have things that are unfinished that need to be done for tomorrow. 

What's keeping me from talking to God?  Maybe I am afraid of what He might say to me.  Maybe He has a task in mind that is too much.  Maybe He has no answers for today, but only that quiet, dreaded word...wait.
Why do I grieve His heart by keeping my distance?

Do you need to pray?  Do you have concerns to share with Him?  Is he putting someone on your heart who really needs intercession?  Are you worried about something?  Is your schedule too hectic? 

Stop. Rest in Him.  Give up all the feeble excuses and MAKE the time to talk with your Father.  He certainly has time for you.  He is waiting.  He will give you peace.  He will give you the strength you need.  He will give you a balance to help you get done what is important and know what can wait.  Stop.  Turn off the noise.  Sit with Him.  Seek His face.  Seek His heart.  Pray....

I'm going to spend some time with Him right now...will you?

1 comment:

  1. Your writing keeps getting better and better. I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me!